By Scott Oaks
Coding and testing are generally considered separate areas of expertise. In this practical book, Java expert Scott Oaks takes the approach that anyone who works with Java should be adept at understanding how code behaves in the Java Virtual Machine—including the tunings likely to help performance. This updated second edition helps you gain in-depth knowledge of Java application performance using both the JVM and the Java platform.
Developers and performance engineers alike will learn a variety of features, tools, and processes for improving the way the Java 8 and 11 LTS releases perform. While the emphasis is on production-supported releases and features, this book also features previews of exciting new technologies such as ahead-of-time compilation and experimental garbage collections.
- Understand how various Java platforms and compilers affect performance
- Learn how Java garbage collection works
- Apply four principles to obtain best results from performance testing
- Use the JDK and other tools to learn how a Java application is performing
- Minimize the garbage collector’s impact through tuning and programming practices
- Tackle performance issues in Java APIs
- Improve Java-driven database application performance